HtmlSearch Documentation: Screen layout
When you start the HtmlSearch applet, a four pane screen is displayed. From top to bottom:
- A row of Buttons described below
that allow you to navigate between the main functions.
- An Options panel when you can specify what to look for.
- A status line described below that usually displays 'Ready' when the applet is started
- A Results panel where the search results are displayed
Depending on your configuration, some of the buttons may or may not be shown on your screen.
These buttons allow you to start and stop the search, and display the different panels:
- Start search: press this button to start the search. The label then turns to
Stop search which you can then press to interrupt the search.
- Options: press this button to display the Options panel
- Advanced: press this button to display the Advanced panel
- Details: press this button to display the Details panel
- Index: press this button to display the Index panel
- Info: press this button to display information about HtmlSearch, and if available, the Help screen.
- Exit: press this button to exit the application (this button does not appear if used within a browser).
Buttons can be grayed out if either the function is not available, or if the panel is already being displayed.
The status line indicates what the program is currently doing. Between searches, it usually displays
Ready unless the previous search encountered an error.
While the search is going on, it displays which pages it is accessing, and what stage of the process it is at.
If the search is proceeding fast (e.g. on a fast PC, or searching on the local hard disk), the status line
may look like a flashing text.